Changing Your Property’s Flood Zone Designation

Is your property in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) and you believe this designation to be incorrect?  If so, you can request a change to your flood zone designation. To do this, you need to submit an application for a formal determination of the property’s location and/or elevation to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). You will be required to submit specific information regarding the property and its location, which can be done with the aid of a licensed land surveyor who can complete and submit an elevation certificate on your behalf. After review by FEMA, you will receive a Determination Document either approving or denying your request.  If approved, you may no longer need to pay flood insurance.  For more information about elevation certificates in Massachusetts, call Massachusetts Survey Consultants at (617) 899-07703.