Disputing Your Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) Designation

If your lender has determined that your property is in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) as shown on a Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) yet you disagree, you do have some options. In these cases, property owners can request either a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or Letter of Map Revision Based on Fill (LOMR-F) depending on their individual circumstances.

FEMA reviews completed forms requesting a LOMA, along with information specific to the property. Because this information includes surveyed elevation data, property owners often need to hire a land surveyor to perform an elevation survey. FEMA typically issues their determination within thirty to sixty days after receiving the application and all required data. If their determination is in your favor and the SFHA designation is removed from your property, the LOMA or LOMR-F can be presented to the lender. However, while this may prove that there is no federal flood insurance requirement for your property, it is ultimately up to the lender whether they will require flood insurance or not.